Sprouts are known as living food with absolute source of proteins, vitamins and minerals. They are delicious, economical and ideal plant based food with immense health benefits. Organic Sprouts grown at home are fresh and can let it grow until they are ready to eat. You can grow sprouts all year round. No special expertise, knowledge or gardening skills required to grow sprouts. You just need seeds, jar and screen to grow at your kitchen. Commercial sprouts need not always use organic seeds; hence growing your own sprouts ensures organic consumption.
Here are 8 easy steps to grow your own organic sprouts at home:
- Choose your favourite organic seeds for sprouting. You can buy guaranteed organic seeds from grocery shop or online shopping portals. Start your first organic sprouting with legumes such as beans, lentils or peas.
- Wash the seeds well in fresh water. Remove any debris from the seeds.
- Choose a wide mouthed container or jar, based on the amount of seeds.
- Soak the seeds for 4-12 hours (depending on the type of sprouts) in un-chlorinated water.
- Cover the container using nylon or fibreglass screens or any breathable cloth.
- After 4-12 hours, drain and rinse the water. Repeat the process twice a day until the sprouts grow its required length. Note that the seeds must be kept moist always.
- Expose to daylight for growing healthy sprouts. But avoid direct sunlight to them.
- Store in refrigerator once the sprouts are ready.
Enjoy sprouting at home!!